New Style Magazine, January 2012, Issue 103







Justine Waddell – Suicide is a response to untenable pain
Interview by Elena Petrova, Translated by Jan Butler

In 2008, the Russian film director Alexander  Zeldovich began shooting his film Target, which he had co-scripted with the author Vladimir Sorokin. What’s the film about? Life, its meaning, who we are, and what we are here for.

The philosophical narrative is set in the year 2020, in a corrupt but well-organized Russia, working with clockwork precision within a coordinated global consumer network.  Running right across country is a transit highway with a constant stream of juggernauts rushing between China and Paris. One of the film’s central characters (played by Maxim Sukhanov) – the Russian Federation Minister of Mineral Resources – is at the top of caste system in this future Russia. He eats psyllium seed husks for breakfast and sleeps with the wife he selected at a bride market eight years previously. But neither he, nor his wife, nor any of the other of the film’s characters feels happy – something is missing for all of them.  And it is in search of this “something”, or, more precisely, to heighten their senses and gain eternal youth that they go off to the Altai Mountains, to an abandoned astrophysics center, or “Target,” as the non-aging locals have christened it. 

The role of the trophy wife went to Justine Waddell, a South African-born British actress, who, prior to filming, had not known a single word of Russian. Her character finds her Vronsky in a customs officer/traffic policeman, and her end – on railroad tracks.

What did you think when first offered this role?

I could not and I still cannot think of a situation in which such a group of people would extend this kind of offer. It happens once. I was sent an English translation of the script by the European casting director, Leo Davis. I went to Moscow to meet Alexander Zeldovich (the director) and Dmitry Lesnevsky (the producer). I then did the oddest screen test of my life with Maksim Sukhanov – he read in Russian and I read in English. We couldn’t understand a word of what the other was saying! I thought after that they would accept there was no way for a foreigner to play this role… (Laughs). So I may say I was genuinely bemused when they then offered me the part.

What were your first thoughts about the script?

It read like a great novel. I had only heard the vaguest rumors about Sorokin’s writing – four years ago his books were out of print in English. And even in a very rough English translation, I found Zoya's predicament intriguing and powerful. A story about denial. Denial as the beginning of a spiritual transformation. Although there is the play with Anna Karenina – the story with Nikolai is essentially here an expression of denial and destruction. Zoya deliberately sets out to destroy her life. I found that existential energy very contemporary and very frightening.

It's a very complex role - what did you find most challenging?

In English this part would be challenging to play, in Russian it was almost impossible. Once you start to discuss Taoist ideas of denial and growth you’re already in highly charged and very subtle, emotional territory. It was an extraordinary experience working with Alexander Zeldovich. He seems as comfortable in psychology as he is in directing. I very much admire his understanding of the way people really react.

But I’ll be simple and say what I found most challenging was really something totally basic. I couldn’t relate freely to the cast members because I couldn’t speak any Russian! (Laughs). For an actor it’s the most important thing – to feel yourself free and comfortable and able to communicate with those around you. Maxim, Vitaly, Daniela, Nina, Daniel, they were all incredibly generous to me. My experience of the production of the film was so filtered by the language. I felt like I was acting through a wall of glass and I wanted that glass to shatter. Zoya herself is like a glass doll that wants to break apart.

The characters in Target, Zoya included, want freedom, youth and happiness - why do they get punished for something so innocent-sounding?

In some way, this group of people expect that they can buy happiness, that they can buy freedom, that they can buy youth. And do you know, I don’t feel those expectations are innocent at all. In some way, the film derives its energy from the idea that happiness is a consumer good. Something that you can purchase and own, rather than something that comes to you unexpectedly. But for me, when I am happy it comes to me unexpectedly.

Why do you think your character kills herself?

Zoya has lived her life. She loses everything, she wins everything again, and then she loses it again. Suicide in the end is always an answer to untenable pain. In a terrible way, that is Zoya’s happy ending.

What are the idiosyncrasies of working with a Russian team and a Russian director?

I’ve only worked with one Russian crew and one Russian director… If I talk about my experience of this film, I look at Alexander as a director and one of his outstanding characteristics is he relates freely and equally to his audience – there is never a question of, ‘Will the audience understand?’ There is an assumption that the audience is the most intelligent part of the process. I find that inspiring. Generally, I feel Russian cinema is less dominated by commerce.

As relates to the crew, it’s the only time I’ve ever been on a set where it felt that the grips and the sparks – that’s the technical group who really make a film happen – were as invested in the film as the director and actors. I remember overhearing two of the film electricians discussing the meaning of a scene one day! (Laughs). Alexander collected a very dedicated group of people around him – and it was a tough film to complete so that dedication was really important.

Another impression I have relates to what seems to me a peculiarly Russian tradition between directors. You know, I was at a Russian-language film festival a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful to see the way different generations of great Russian directors talked so freely to each other. It seems like they all understand how hard it is to make films, and support each other because of it.

You had to travel a long way to get the perfect shots for this movie. How did you find relocating to Altai for a time?

Altai was really a very special place. I’d had one similar experience before, filming on a film called The Fall where we shot in the Himalayas. You feel yourself to be free. I really can’t think of any more accurate way to describe it. The sky seems very close. For many people Altai is a mystical and spiritual place. I always laugh because we stayed in a primary school when we were filming. I learnt how to boil eggs in a kettle.

Russians themselves like to talk about the mysterious Russian soul – are they right or is it a myth?

Now that really is a question for a Russian! I can say that we have Dickens and you have Dostoevsky, we have Eliot and you have Tolstoy. What is this mysterious Russian soul? I think in the end we decided that people use the ‘Russian soul’ as a way to describe things that really would take pages of description or hours of conversation. It’s an easy moniker – oh, of course, the ‘Russian soul’. I think we occasionally forget that Russia borders China, is Asian as much as it is European, and has highly complex cultural and religious traditions which face East as much as West.

You see – easier just to say the Russian soul! (Laughs).

Have you got acquainted with contemporary Russian art?

One of the really special things about doing this film was that I taught myself Russian by watching Soviet cinema. I felt like Alice in Alice in Wonderland. Like Alice, I fell down the rabbit hole into a hidden and enchanting world of film. Why is this film tradition hidden? Why has this film tradition never travelled? Is it the legacy of the Cold War? Is it the boundary of language? I don’t know.

I am now an avid cinephile. I am setting up a little classic Soviet film DVD label to bring these films out of Russia to a British audience.

If I’m going to talk more generally about Russian plays and books and artists, I can only really talk about the people I met in Moscow, people like Lev and Tanya of AES+F, and Leonid Desyatnikov, our composer. Moscow seems to me to have an incredibly vibrant and sophisticated artistic community. It is absolutely clear that Russians have always played and continue to play at the highest level in art, music, film and literature.

So, do you like Moscow?

I love Moscow. It’s a quicksilver city. It changes month by month and year by year. By the way, now even when I drive in from Domodedovo – the highway begins to look like the highway in our film with advertisements. I would like to come back to Moscow soon and I want to see the renovated façade of the Bolshoi theatre.

The movie was shot in 2008 - what have you been doing since and what’s in a pipeline now?

Do you know, this film felt to me really like it appeared by accident, by chance. Why would a Russian director of Alexander Zeldovich’s calibre approach you to play a part like this when you don’t even speak the language and have no relationship to the country?

It was an important event in my life, not only because of the experience I had when making the film but because it exemplified for me that things happen by themselves.

In the end, it was a three-and-a-half-year experience from start to finish. And it has left me with a feeling of curiosity – curiosity to see if another step like this will appear by accident, by chance, out of nowhere, in front of me.



Justine Waddell was born in Johannesburg (South Africa) in 1976, and at the age of 11, moved with her family to London. She graduated from the University of Cambridge with a degree in Social and Political Sciences, and made her cinema debut was a small part in Anna Karenina (starring Sophie Marceau). She has also appeared in theatre productions of Chekhov’s The Seagull and Ivanov. Her film, theatre, and TV credits include Chaos (2005), Dracula 2000 (2000), Mansfield Park (1999), and Tess of the D’Urbervilles (1998).

The film Target had its world premiere at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival where it was screened in the Panorama section.


www.newstyle-mag.com
The PDF version of this article/magazine can be downloaded here.



No comments:

Which leading man would you like to see Justine play opposite again?